Corner-cutting and inferior ingredients hurt your patients.
In Part I of our series on High Quality Ingredients, we identified and discussed a few of the important aspects of quality within the nutraceutical industry and why they matter. We were able to share, at a high level, why Personalized & Compounded Nutrients care about and prioritize quality in all our procurement and manufacturing processes.
This time around we’ll discuss why ingredient quality matters, some of the advantages and risks associated with ingredient quality, and how Personalized & Compounded Nutrients are working to ensure our ingredients are the best available.
We’ll say it again. Corner-cutting and inferior ingredients hurt your patients.
This statement seems straight forward enough. Most of us understand the value and advantages of prescribing high-quality medications and formulas for our patients. From higher potency to lower risk, when you provide your patients the best, they’ll experience the best results. This same concept can be applied to just about any industry. When we’re shopping for a new vehicle, we all understand that quality parts and manufacturing will likely result in a better, safer, more reliable car.
While this seems like a simple concept, the unfortunate truth is that many supplement and nutraceutical manufacturers will happily cut corners and opt for lower quality, less potent ingredients to cut costs and boost revenue, all at the expense of the end patient.
By taking inferior products, patients can expect to see reduced or ineffective results, will often have to take more product for a longer period, and run the risk of experiencing inconvenient or even dangerous side effects. None of these are ideal for the doctor or patient.
So how can a practitioner ensure that their patient is getting exactly what they prescribe, will see better results, and can avoid nasty side effects?
A quick online search will reveal just how many options there are for supplement and nutraceutical manufacturers. While many are good, reputable companies, there are just as many profit-driven, corner cutters pushing inferior product around the world. Finding the right partner to work with can be daunting for any practitioner.
Fortunately, with a little digging, finding the right manufacturer is do-able.
By paying attention to and considering the following, any practitioner can ensure that they’re making a smart choice for both their patients, and their practice.
- NSF GMP Registration – As the Gold Standard in quality, NSF has been the go-to regulator within the dietary supplement industry for years. The standards are thorough and rigorous, and any company able to achieve NSF GMP Registered status is one that can certainly be trusted to source and maintain high-quality ingredients and processes.
- Transparency – This should relate to all aspects of the company, from their communication to their manufacturing process. A company with nothing to hide will be open and proud to share exactly what goes into producing their product.
- Ingredients – By taking a look at the ingredients the company stocks, including variety and source, you’ll be able to get a better understanding of how much (or how little) effort the company is putting in to ensure the best finished product. Any reputable company will be more than happy to answer any specific ingredient questions and provide additional info upon request.
- Testing – Consider how much and what type of testing is being done to ensure the products being produced are exactly what they are supposed to be. Companies that go above and beyond to ensure potency and eliminate contaminants through rigorous testing understand the importance of a high-quality product and are clearly opposed to cutting corners.
- Communication – By simply picking up the phone and calling or sending a quick email, you should be able to get in touch with a human being who is open, friendly, and informed. If you struggle to find contact info online, or can never seem to get a response from a human being, concern around transparency and what’s going on behind the scenes should be raised.
Once you’ve explored some of the basics and feel confident that the company will be able to deliver exactly what you and your patient need at the highest quality, you’d then be able to explore other considerations like where are they located for shipping? How do their costs compare? Am I able to formulate my own protocols?
Fortunately, Personalized & Compounded Nutrients checks all the boxes above and more. Quality, transparency, communication, and testing all play a pivotal role in ensuring each order is the best available. From partnering with only the best ingredient suppliers, to testing and re-testing all of our products, practitioners know exactly what they are giving to their patient will be the best.
To wrap up Part II, ingredient quality, including identifying a reputable manufacturer, is incredibly important in ensuring your patients are being properly cared for. By partnering with a company with high standards, practitioners are able to more effectively treat patients, are able to boost confidence and respect for their practice, and can help support those companies going above and beyond to leave a lasting positive impact.
Until next time, have a great day!